My top 8 tips to prepare you for your shoot.
At the moment I am one of the few photographers in Ireland that is helping SME’s, particularly female entrepreneurs, to tell their business story through personal brand photography, a relatively new and increasingly popular corporate photography style.
As an experienced marketeer I work directly with you to prepare for your photo shoot. This style of photography differs from the more formal posed head and shoulders photo many people will be used to. Instead I focus on showcasing your personality, what you have to offer that is unique in sometimes saturated markets and what you really care about. Personal brand photography is about telling your business story through imagery and communicating your values so your ideal client can find you.
So where do you start and how do you ensure you get value from an investment in personal brand photography?
Here are my top 8 tips for preparing for your personal brand photoshoot…
- CHOOSE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER WISELY Do your research, seek out recommendations and find a photographer that takes the time to understand you and your business. There are a lot of different types of photographers from press to wedding to lifestyle photographers. They are all different skillsets so ideally, look for a photographer who specialises in personal brand.
- GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING You will know after talking to the photographer if they are a fit for you and your business. This is important as you want to work with a photographer who makes you feel comfortable and confident so your authentic self-shines through. This comes down to the right advice during preparation, posing you to look your best and keeping the day fun and relaxed to get those natural shots.
- KNOW YOUR BRAND Get clear on your brand. Consider what you want your images to communicate. You will want your images to represent you authentically, be true to your business purpose, values and your unique offering. They say attention is the new currency and nothing grabs attention quicker than an image. Be sure the message it conveys is completely on brand and working hard to connect you with the right people.
- WHO ARE YOU TARGETING? Know who you want your images to resonate with. Keeping your ideal client in mind at all times will keep you on track. Understanding exactly who you are selling to, what their specific problem is and positioning yourself as the solution can be achieved through imagery with a little extra thought and consideration, are you telling a story your ideal client wants to be in?
- MAXIMISE THE OPPORTUNITY. This is a big investment for your business, it is important to make the most of it. The right location is key. Keep an open mind. Just because you may not have a business premises or an instagrammable home does not mean you can’t have a photoshoot for your brand. The options are endless! There are so many fabulous spaces, studios, restaurants, air bnb homes, beaches, urban streets and beauty spots to consider. Choosing the right back drop to tell your story can be a fun but also critically important step to set the tone for your brand.
- BRAND IDENTITY – your images are an important element of your visual identity. There needs to be consistency across your brand palette, style and the values of your business. Your photographer can help you make sure this happens with the right clothes, colours, energy, props and use of light. Considering the destination of your images at the beginning of the process can help too, which pages on your website will they be used, the colours they need to be and the unique purpose each image may have.
- GO PRO Have fun but take it seriously on the day. Don’t scrimp on professional hair, styling and make up, the right clothes and props or you will regret it. It can make or break a shoot if you end up not liking how your hair looks or an outfit sits.
- Body Confidence – if you are not feeling overly body confident, it is worth pausing and looking at ways you can boost your confidence before the shoot. How to dress your body shape, understand your best colours and optimise the condition of your skin can really help you embrace the best of you. If you are not in a good place with regards your body, it is possible that you may not be happy with your pictures. Feeling good about your authentic self is the magic ingredient that yields the most loved pictures.
Eva Blake is a Personal Brand Photographer. She is a qualified marketeer (BBS with Marketing) and an MBA holder. After working in the corporate world for over 15 years predominantly in the pharmaceutical industry she started her Personal Brand Photography business in 2018.